Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:42:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Myche'jae-Bel" <mikeb@gl.umbc.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Question about pppd version

I bought "The Complete FreeBSD" with FreeBSD 2.2.6 on it, and installed
it.  The installation process was fairly quick and painless, and Greg's
book is rather informative.

Unfortunately, when setting up kernel PPP, I found some sort of version
incompatibility between the installed pppd and the one documented in the
book.

I would have asked the editor/publisher to track this down as errata,
except that I really want the latest and greatest pppd, so I figured you'd
know that and they wouldn't.

My pppd doesn't understand 'deflate' 'demand' and 'idle'.  Is there a way
for me to get the correct pppd that does?  What's the simplest approach?

I have very little invested yet in local configuration, and no user base,
so I can make radical changes if necessary.

Thanks for your time,

Mike