Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 2009 13:07:50 -0600
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        Michael Christie <vk3mrc@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gmirror

On 8/9/09, Michael Christie <vk3mrc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there all,
>
> I need your help. I have a supermicro server which was running Freebsd 7.=
1
> with 2 SATA drives. I have had G mirror running on the server. I needed t=
> do a full reinstall of freebsd but was unable to disengage the mirror at =
the
> time. When installing Freebsd, on to the drives i see i have AD4 AD6 and =
AR0
> on the disk label, i have installed the new free bsd in AD4, and the syst=
em
> would not boot.

ar0 is often a cheap onboard RAID device.  So cheap as it doesn't even
hide ad4 and ad6 which is also hooked up to the motherboard.

Installing to ad4 installed it allright.  But now the hardware raid
will screw things up a bit.

Either use gmirror with ad4 and ad6, or use hardware raid on ar0 only.