Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 00:44:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Andrews <mandrews@termfrost.org>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Arisandy <sandy@divre5.telkom.co.id>, Question <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Isp <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Modem speed?

On USR (now 3com) modems, doing +++ followed by ATI6 will tell you, but of
course that's only helpful for a terminal session and doesn't help you
for a PPP session... :)

If you have Total Control hubs, you can get the ATI6 info out-of-band via
SNMP.  Portmaster 3's I think have something similar.  But that's all on
the server end.  Other than that, or buying a modem with an LCD display as
mentioned, there's not really any good way.

Mike Andrews/MA12/ICQ 6602506  this chromosome intentionally left blank
mandrews@dcr.net -- mandrews@termfrost.org -- http://www.termfrost.org/
Senior Systems & Network Administrator, Digital Crescent, Frankfort, KY
v.90/x2/ISDN 'net Access in Franklin/Anderson/Shelby/Jefferson Counties