Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:04:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   no /boot/loader

Hi,

A machine I used to admin has suddenly bitten the dust.  The new admin
wrote me and said the machine crashed earlier today.  He went down to try
to reset it and it comes up with:

Disk error 0x2 (1ba=0x8f)
No /boot/loader

>> FreeBSD /i386 BOOT

Default: 0:da(0,a)/kernel
boot:

He says he then gets no response from the keyboard (this may be due to a
stupid switch the NT admin is using to try to avoid having separate
keyboards for 2 different machines - I've told the present admin to plug
the keyboard in directly to see if he gets any response, but haven't heard
back yet).

Any ideas what's going on here and how we can bring the machine back to
life?  My guess is they haven't done a backup in awhile (they were bad
about that) so they probably really want the disk back.

Even though I'm not in charge of the machine anymore, I'd like to help
them out if I can.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *