Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:16:56 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Supote Leelasupphakorn <pjn0211@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why must boot in single mode.

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 11:36:11AM +0700, Supote Leelasupphakorn wrote:

>   Could anyone clarify me why we have to (according to comment in=20
> /usr/src/Makefile)
> reboot in single mode ? Is it necessary ?

It's safest; if you try and do without it then applications running on
the machine may crash during the installworld.  If you're relying on
such an application (e.g. sshd to log in remotely), then you'd be
locked out, and the machine may be left in an incomplete and unusable
state.

Kris

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0--