Date:      29 Mar 2001 10:43:52 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stunnel-3.14 problem revisited

karin@ii.uib.no (Karin Lagesen) writes:

> A few days ago I had a few problems getting stunnel to work, and posted
> about it here (ref. stunnel, fetchmail and pop3). The problem I was having
> was first of all getting stunnel to start at startup, so I did some
> testing to get it to work, and it seemed like the problem was that it
> wanted to have directory called '/var/run/stunnel/' that it could store
> its pid number in. Based on advice from this list I made that directory,
> and stunnel was working fine. But here is the problem. When I reboot my
> machine, the directory I just made ('/var/run/stunnel/') has disappeared,
> and thus stunnel cannot start up as it should. This seems to me to be a
> Stupid Thing (TM). Does anybody have any tips on how I can get that
> directory to be there permanently? Or is there something else I should be
> doing?

/etc/rc cleans out /var/run completely at boot time (pretty early on at
boot, in fact).  This seems to me, in fact, to be the Right Thing (TM).
So the approach is either to re-create the directory right before invoking
stunnel, or better yet to get it to create its pidfile directly in
/var/run like most other single-instance daemons do.