Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 08:52:21 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc & rc.conf

> > Yes, I'm not quite *that* stupid.  We have two variables here: a
> > -flags which is set with the flags, and an -enable which is set to
> > either YES or NO.  The original logic says "don't do it unless -enable
> > is YES".  Brian's saying "do it unless -enable is NO".  I don't see an
> > advantage in doing it this way, and I certainly don't see a disaster
> > waiting to happen in the old way.
>
> The advantages are combined; consistency with all of the other similar
> options, and by using "not NO", the _enable and _flags variables may
> subsequently be combined.

Hmmm. I'm not sure about the consistency. A "grep NO rc" leaves me with
3 variables that is checked against NO and "grep YES rc" leaves me with
9 variables checked against YES, although if you change this it will be
5 NO's against 7 YES's.

BTW. The way I keep rc and rc.conf in sync is to make all my changes
in rc.conf.local, so I can always just copy rc and rc.conf into /etc
without worry that I'll clobber some of my local setup.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za