Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 18:46:37 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Alex Stamos <stamos@cs.berkeley.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Finding people with GSM phones (was Re: GPS heads up )

Wes Peters wrote:

> > > Being able to track 911 calls in the case of emergency.
> >
> >   While some people may find this a convenient excuse for more Big Brother tactics,
> > I once spoke to a paramedic friend about 911 cell phone tracking after it was first
> > announced.  She said that she couldn't overestimate the problems caused by people
> > giving bad directions or locations over cell phones.  Apparently, its not uncommon
> > for a person, still dazed from an accident, to report their location as "Somewhere
> > on Interstate 80".  -For those non-Americans, I-80 is a 3,000 mile freeway that
> > starts in San Francisco and ends in Boston.-
>
> Well, New York.  It also includes some of the emptiest parts of the continental
> USA, mostly in Nevada and Utah.
>
> The problem is a lot worse in the empty places, where you have thousands of miles
> of unpaved roads that still manage to get some mobile phone coverage.  The analog
> cell tower in Callao, Utah, for instance, covers a fixed population of about 100
> people, and an area larger than the state of Rhode Island.
>
> >    On another topic, I recently read an article on Ace's Hardware comparing the
> > performance of standard benchmarks, on a Alpha 21264 under Linux, compiled with the
> > GCC and Compaq's proprietary compiler.  Compaq's C compiler kicked GCC's ass in
> > almost every metric.  My questions:  Is such a compiler available for *BSD?  Why is
> > GCC so bad at Alpha optimization when it does so well on x86?  Is somebody asleep
> > at the wheel here?
>
> Who said it's any good at X86 optimization?

I find setiathome, which was compiled with an Intel compiler on the
Windows side, out calculates setiathome on the same computer 20-25% on
the average when I boot FreeBSD 4.0 and run it there.

Kent

> --
>             "Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
>
> Wes Peters                                                         Softweyr LLC
> wes@softweyr.com                                           http://softweyr.com/

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html