Date:      Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:55:09 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Canonical upgrade procedure for 6.0?

--xHbokkKX1kTiQeDC

Hello Roland,

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Roland Smith wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 11:44:24AM +0000, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> > Hello Roland,
> >       Thanks for the response.
> >=20
> > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Roland Smith wrote:
> >=20
 semi-official) procedure for upgrading a FreeBSD-5Stable machine (i386) to=
 6.0?
> > >=20
> > > Chapter 20 of the Handbook details how to update your system with cvs=
up
> > > and how to rebuild your kernel+world.
> >=20
> > I know about the procedures details in that chapter, however, I'm
> > recalling the fact that at one point in time, there was a "migrating"
> > link (http://www.freebsd.org/old/releases/5.4R/migration-guide.html)
> > on the old website that included, if you will, *the way* to migrate
> > from FreeBSD-4 to FreeBSD-5 - that included changes and extra steps as
> > against what is mentioned in chapter 20 in the Handbook.
>=20
> The migration from 4 to 5 was much more involved, because some
> subsystems had been radically changed. The changes from 5 to 6 are less
> so, AFAIK.
>=20
> > If chapter 20 is the way, then fair enough, but I thought it a simple
> > thing to ask.
>=20
> Actually, the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING are considered to be
> canonical, AFAIK. Chapter 20 refers to it. Look for "COMMON ITEMS",
> especially "To upgrade in-place from 5.x-stable to current".

Okay.., I took the view that following the Handbook was the way to go, chan=
ging "*default release=3Dcvs tag=3DRELENG_5" to "*default release=3Dcvs tag=
=3DRELENG_6".

All went fine, that is, I was able to cvsup sources to upgrade a FreeBSD-5-=
Stable machine to FreeBSD-6.0-RC-1:

$ uname -a
FreeBSD <snipped> 6.0-RC1 FreeBSD 6.0-RC1 #0: Sun Oct 30 16:09:08 GMT 2005 =
    <snipped>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
$

All looks well, whereby I can log in successfully, and load X as before (I =
know that at some point I need to rebuild all installed ports), however I n=
ow need to configure, compile and install a custom kernel. But when I check=
ed the location of where (the default in FreeBSD) I'd expect to see a new G=
ENERIC, I see the following:

/usr/src/sys/i386/conf $ ls -tla
total 92
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    512 Oct 30 18:05 .
drwxr-xr-x  14 root  wheel    512 Oct 29 19:48 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   1741 Oct 29 19:48 GENERIC.hints
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    372 Oct 28 20:21 DEFAULTS
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  10211 Oct 28 20:21 GENERIC
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  33284 Oct  7 15:00 NOTES
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    322 Sep 18 04:37 SMP
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   1766 Jul 29 17:02 PAE
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel     13 Jun 20 17:52 .cvsignore
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel    120 Feb 26  2003 Makefile
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf $

After copying GENERIC to "MYKERNEL", I'd have expected to go through MYKERN=
EL to add / delete as required, as well as remove the debugging statements =
that I'd come across from reading various suggestions (like "options INVARI=
ANTS", etc), but I've found that the GENERIC on this system doesn't have th=
e entries for any of those debugging statements to remove. Here's a snippet=
 where I'd have expected to see some of those entries:

$ more GENERIC
#
# GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/i386
#
# For more information on this file, please read the handbook section on
# Kernel Configuration Files:
#
#    http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig=
-config.html
#
# The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook
# if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the
# FreeBSD World Wide Web server (http://www.FreeBSD.org/) for the
# latest information.
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is also present in the ../../conf/NOTES and NOTES files.
# If you are in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first
# in NOTES.
#
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.429.2.4 2005/10/28 19:21:27 jhb E=
xp $

machine         i386
cpu             I486_CPU
cpu             I586_CPU
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           GENERIC

# To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
#hints          "GENERIC.hints"         # Default places to look for device=
s.

makeoptions     DEBUG=3D-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug =
symbols

#options        SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
options         SCHED_4BSD              # 4BSD scheduler
options         PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread preemption
options         INET                    # InterNETworking
options         INET6                   # IPv6 communications protocols
options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates support
options         UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big direct=
ories
options         MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root device
options         NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem Client
options         NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
options         NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIE=
NT
options         MSDOSFS                 # MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires PSEU=
DOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         GEOM_GPT                # GUID Partition Tables.
options         COMPAT_43               # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THI=
S!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5
options         SCSI_DELAY=3D5000         # Delay (in ms) before probing SC=
SI
options         KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time exte=
nsions
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                                        # output.  Adds ~128k to driver.
options         AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                                        # output.  Adds ~215k to driver.
options         ADAPTIVE_GIANT          # Giant mutex is adaptive.

device          apic                    # I/O APIC

# Bus support.
device          eisa
device          pci

# Floppy drives
device          fdc

I see the line entry for "makeoptions DEBUG=3D-g", but where are all the ot=
hers (INVARIANTS, WITNESS, etc)? Presumably, something's gone wrong somewhe=
r along the way?

Any information, would be appreciated, please.

Regards,

Stacey

>=20
> That being said, I guess the least troublesome route is to make a backup
> of your data (including configuration files), wipe the disks and do a
> re-install of 6.0. That way you can be sure there are no leftovers from
> 5.x. And then you can "port" your config files to the new release.
>=20
> Especially, it gives you an opportinity to tune things like slices and
> their sizes. Personally I like to have /home on a separate slice for
> easy dumps and backups, since my /usr is to big to fit on DVD with
> /usr/home in it.
>=20
> Roland
> --=20