Date:      04 Aug 1998 13:37:09 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quantum disk info needed.

Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com> writes:
> I recently was given an old quantum disk, model xp34300w. Since Quantum's
> web page seems to be down (did'nt they go out of business?) does anybody
> have any information about these disk ?

Very simple: XP means Quantum, 3 means 41 mm tall, 4300 means 4300
million bytes (not megabytes), and W means SCSI Wide interface.
Seagate uses the same numbering scheme (with ST instead of XP); Conner
(which now belongs to Seagate) used a similar scheme, but encoded
drive height as a letter IIRC (ISTR P meant 25 mm, but I might be
totally off the track here). I've never cared too much about WD,
Maxtor, Micropolis (now defunct) or IBM (which are the only other
large disk manufacturers I can think of).

ISTR Seagate has a web page that explains how to read model numbers;
it's quite possible that Quantum has one too.

DES (who has an XP34550W, and wouldn't call an XP34300W "old")
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no