Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:39:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD run on a G4?

Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
> if you read more closely, you will see that it's the FreeBSD userland it's
> based off of... not the FreeBSD kernel.. the kernel is a mach based
> kernel.

The kernel is somewhat Mach based.  It uses some of the FreeBSD kernel as
well, IIRC.  However, the way it does this is to use a small microkernel
that is mach-based, and then use some of the FreeBSD and NetBSD code wrapped
around that microkernel for some of the higher level stuff.  It claims to be
4.4BSD when you telnet to it. :)

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/