Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:23:20 +0100
From:      Dennis <4real@home.nl>
To:        Gene Harris <geneh@tetronsoftware.com>
Cc:        "Paul A. Mayer" <paul@fnug.net>, kitsune <kitbsdlists@HotPOP.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running X program under different user

Gene Harris wrote:

>You need to use 'su -m', which leaves the environment, including the DISPLAY
>export unchanged from the current user, but changes the userid to the user
>you want to switch to.
>
>You can then run your x program as the user you wish to use.
>
>I believe this is a MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE issue and is reasonably well documented
>in the questions mailing list archive.  In your previous KDE life, were you
>using XFree86 v3 and now you have switched to XFree86 v4?  This is one of the
>first things many users run into after they switch.
>
>Gene
>
>On Saturday 15 February 2003 01:53 pm, Dennis wrote:
>

>>Paul A. Mayer wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Did you try to call:
>>>
>>>xhost +localhost
>>>
>>>before your su command?
>>>
>>>Looks like your X session is not letting your other user access your
>>>display.
>>>
>>>$.02, hope it helps.
>>>
>>>/Paul

>>Thanx for ur replies...
>>
>>Tried the xhost command, but i get the exact error message afterwards...
>>So i guess something else causes the problem..

>>with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

Thanx for your reply Gene!

However when i use su -m, i get the same error again!!
Maybe it's because of the security precaution that su has?

" As a security precaution, if the target user's shell is a non-standard
shell
 (as defined by getusershell(3)) and the caller's real uid is non- zero,
su will fail."

I'll check that out...

Ps.. i was already using v4, but now that i dont have the kde panel
anymore, i'm forced to use su, which brings me to this issue :)

Greetz Dennis