Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 16:24:21 +0100
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <lists@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to newfs CDRW media?

Hello Francisco,

> > Basically I want to newfs a CDRW for backups.

> Mike said:
> FreeBSD doesn't support that. A CDRW is a reusable CDR, not a file
> system. Some of the Windows CDRW tools (provided by the CDRW
> manufacturer) may provide a file system that lets you use a CDRW that
> way, but I don't know of any tool that does that for FreeBSD.

Donīt know your skills in CD-writing terms, so to be clear:
Mike was refering here to the so called UDF or Packet-CD file system, which
is an alternative to the iso9660 file system normally used on CD-ROMs. UDF
would allow you to just drag and drop files onto your drive symbol in
Windows Explorer, without the need for any burn program, when you once have
your CDRW formatted with UDF. The big disadvantage: You canīt read this CDs
with any Unix I know of (even for Win you have to install a driver first).
So of course you can do backups on CDRWs with any Unix including FreeBSD,
but not by just simply "cp files /cdrom" as Mike probably understood your
question for a file system on CDRW, but by e.g. tar-ing the files, then
mkisofs and finally burn them with burncd.
If your first backup wonīt fill your CDRW completely you can look for so
called multi-session recording and so do the writing in separate steps until
the CD is finally full.
If you want to reuse the CDRWs, once theyīre full, then you have to blank
them again with the appropriate option of burncd.

Ciao
Siegbert