Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:16:01 +0900
From:      Watanabe Kazuhiro <CQG00620@nifty.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Rudy <crapsh@monkeybrains.net>
Subject:   Re: How do I use my USB microphone and motherboard audio out?

At Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:16:45 -0800,
Rudy wrote:
> Watanabe Kazuhiro wrote:
> > Hi.

> > Audacity will be able to specify a different dsp device for the
> > recording and playback device via the "Audacity Preferences" panel
> > ("Edit" -> "Preferences" -> "Audio I/O"); e.g. /dev/dsp0 for playback,
> > and /dev/dsp1 for recording.
> >
> > Have you tried such configulation?
> > ---
> > Watanabe Kazuhiro (CQG00620@nifty.ne.jp)
>
> No luck.  I only see '/dev/dsp'.  It seems that dsp likes to automatically do stuff, but is not
> smart enough to always do the right thing.

OK.  My understanding is:

 * There is /dev/dsp0 which corresponds to pcm0 (snd_hda).

 * /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp0 are the same.  e.g.:

    $ ls -l /dev/dsp /dev/dsp0
    crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  83 Dec 14 20:55 /dev/dsp
    crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    0,  83 Dec 14 20:55 /dev/dsp0
    $

 * There is no /dev/dsp1.  But there is /dev/dsp1.1 which corresponds
   to pcm1 (snd_uaudio).

If these are correct, will you try to make a symlink /dev/dsp1 which
points to /dev/dsp1.1 via devfs.conf(5)?  i.e. Add the following line
to /etc/devfs.conf and then reboot the system:

link dsp1.1 dsp1

---
Watanabe Kazuhiro (CQG00620@nifty.ne.jp)