Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:55:54 -0700
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Greg Skouby" <gskouby@sitesnow.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: taking out disks

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Skouby" <gskouby@sitesnow.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2000 7:24 PM
Subject: taking out disks

> Hello,
>

> I have a system that is running:
> 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD.
>
> It is a netfinity machine with one internal scsi drive with four external
drives connected to the same
> adapter. The internal drive is da4 and it contains the OS. The four
external drives are da0, da1, da2,
> da3 and they are currently not being used. I had them in a vinum raid5
array but that died. (I realize
> that is my own fault for running vinum raid5 on a 3.3-R system) Anyways, I
need to take one of the
> external drives out but I am fearing that when I do that on the next
subsequent reboot the box will not
> boot right because the drive with the OS on it will not be da4 anymore, it
will become da3 because one
> drive is not there. Am I correct? How can I accomplish this? Is it as easy
as changing /etc/fstab to
> point to the new drive instead of da4? (I really don't think it is).
Thanks for your help and please let
> me know if you need any more details.

just change it in /etc/fstab and reboot.  if it fails to mount your
partitions, you'll be in single user mode and you can read dmesg and mount
them by hand, then change /etc/fstab to what it should be.  not like you're
going to get locked out or anything, just thrown in single user mode at
worst