Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:35:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        Craig Johnston <caj@lfn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: math packages.  mathematica, maple, matlab, or?

Hi,

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Craig Johnston wrote:

> What's the status of various math packages under FreeBSD?  I am
> looking to get a general purpose math package.  Free would be fine if
> the functionality is close to what is commercially available, but I am
> expecting to have to buy Maple or Mathematica or Matlab.

As far as I know the Linux version of Mathematica used to work fine under
Linux compatibility.

I don't know that anyone's tried the other two, but I'm looking at buying
Maple since I found a good academic deal for it.

If you're interested in a free math package, go check in on MuPAD - it's
free (or rather there is a free version - you appear to pay for support).

	http://www.mupad.de/

If anyone knows if Maple runs (the Linux version) I'd like to know before
I shell out the bucks for it.

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *