Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:02:15 -0800
From:      Boris =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ster?= <koester@x-itec.de>
To:        "Hiu F. Ho" <hiuho@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help: Is Sendmail secure?

At 12:54 15.11.2000 -0800, Hiu F. Ho wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I need to set up a mail server on FreeBSD 4.x. Sendmail is installed
>automatically when I install FreeBSD 4.x, but I've heard quite a few people
>saying Sendmail is not secure and suggest me to use qmail.

Most people saying sendmal is insecure are not very known with sendmail.
They do not know how (anti)relay is working and the do not know how
anything about configuring sendmail. The most of these people never
configured a sendmail.conf file and they not understand how it works.

My favourite mailer is sendmail. If you know how to configure it, you will
have a really great mailer. You have to learn how to configure it, and this
will take some weeks and you have to read a lot of sources and examples. If
you have understand some things, you will wondering about the power of
sendmail.

If you are a newbie, maybe sendmail could be a problem for you. If you have
enough energy to learn, sendmail is the best for you.