Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:38:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Shevlen <jeff@passedpawn.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH upgrade

Thanks!

I took the low road and made the changes to rc.conf, rebooted, and now
everythings come up current.  I see the problem was that sshd was compiled
(or something) in with the kernal...

Also, maybe you can answer some of my newbie questions in regards to your
response:
(1) when you say "system files", are these files complied with the kernal?
or are they kernal modules? or are they something else? I haven't really
wrapped my head around this.

(2) you mention that I could remove the sshd files manually, but would it
then be possible to re-integrate the latest version of OpenSSH as
system files again (effectively replacing the old files in /etc/sbin?)

(3) the changes I've made do not affect the ssh client.  When I type # ssh
-V ... I still get the old version.  Where is ssh initialized?  How do I
upgrade the client too?

Thanks again,

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 08:38:51PM -0800, Jeff Shevlen wrote:
> # ssh -V
> SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0 FreeBSD localisations 20010713, protocol
versions
> 1.5/2.0. Compiled with SSL (0x0090601f).
>
> I used the portupgrade software to manage the move up to v3.0.2, and
thought
> this would somehow remove the older version but I guess not.
Nope: the port installs in /usr/local like most ports; it won't touch the
base system files.  You can either remove them by hand and set NO_OPENSSH
in your /etc/make.conf to prevent future world builds from rebuilding
them, or just leave them and set your PATH variable to use /usr/local/bin
first.  To tell FreeBSD which version of sshd to run at startup use the
sshd_program variable in /etc/rc.conf. Kris