Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:52:25 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: No keyboard at boottime prevents use of keyboard later!

Russel Lahti solved this problem for me on 7/20:

> In your kernel configuration, there is a line:
>
> device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
>
> Change it to this:
>
> device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1
>
> That fixed the problem for me.
>
> -Russell

Do this in your kernel config and rebuild your kernel.  Problem
solved.

Lou
On 07/25/01 07:20 AM, David Simmons sat at the `puter and typed:

> If a keyboard is not present when FreeBSD boots, a keyboard
> cannot be plugged in later and used.  This is a real nuisance
> in a server environment where machines need to run headless,
> but also need to be keyboardable when a keyboard/video cart
> is wheeled over to examine the machine.
>
> I'm guessing that the OS is defaulting to using the serial
> port as a console, preventing the use of the keyboard as
> a console.  I don't know how to disable this behavior.
>
> I realize that a serial console scheme would be cleaner
> overall, and I'm planning such a scheme, but it would be nice
> in the meantime to not have to power cycle machines that
> become unreachable on the network.
>
> I'm using 4.3-STABLE.  Thanks for any assistance.
>
> David
>
> --
> David Simmons
> Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
> "Today is a fine day for science!" -- Dexter

Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Fifth Law of Applied Terror:
  If you are given an open-book exam, you will forget your book.