Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:02:28 -0500
From:      "E. Jordan Bojar" <bojar@intersys.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   rc.firewall vs. ipfw

OK, last stupid question of the week, I hope.  I'm setting up a single box
on a hosting rack I don't own, and I want to lock it down best I can.  I
just want to let SSH, HTTP, and SMTP in for now.

I understand how to do it with ipfw, but I assume those settings are lost in
the case of accidental reboot, right?.  If so, is the syntax for editing
rc.firewall any different than ipfw?

The "client" vs "simple" distinction also confuses me a tad, as I'm neither
protecting a netowrk behind me nor do I have a network I trust in front, so
neither of these prebuilts really work for me.  Can I just have rc.firewall
reference another file with ipfw rules, or replace it altogether with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.