Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:22:09 -0500
From:      Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@megadeth.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qpopper

Shawn Ramsey wrote:

> I was trying to get "bulletins" working in qpopper 2.53, and am now getting
> the following error :
>
> Thu Jul 20 11:02:00 2000 [77235] shawn99@shawn.megadeth.org: -ERR Unable to
> proc
> ess From lines (envelopes), change recognition modes.
> Thu Jul 20 11:02:03 2000 [77267] shawn99@shawn.megadeth.org: -ERR Unable to
> proc
> ess From lines (envelopes), change recognition modes.
>
> Now the funny thing is, I recompiled popper, moved it to a different name
> than the running version, and changed inetd.conf to point to the new one.
> Now, this is the OLD popper that had always worked. Now the old one doesn't
> work since trying to get bulletins working. I deleted the bulletins
> directory, and the .popbull file in /var/mail. What else could be going on?
> I did not compile bulletins into the current running popper... had to go
> back to cucipop until I get this resolved.
>
> Thanks...

This is usually indicative of a corrupt email message in the users
inbox. Take a look at the headers of the message, they should look
funny, ie the very first header line should be missing a letter or two.
Removing this message, or fixxing the header, should allow things to
continue as planned.
--
Drew Sanford
Systems Administrator