Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:03:14 -0700
From:      Brett Rogers <loki-bsd@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dynamic Disks & FreeBSD

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 08:56 pm, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Oct 22), Stephen said:
> > Is it at all possible to use FreeBSD on hard disks that have been
> > converted from basic to dynamic?  I have two hard drives and have
> > used Windows XP Professional to convert both to dynamic.
>
> I believe the term "dynamic" applies to NTFS filesystems, and shouldn't
> affect any other filesystems on the disk.

Unfortunately, its not that simple...  Dynamic disks affect the MBR if i
remember right... in any case, they do not only affect NTFS partitions, as
any other operating systems that do not support dynamic disks whether they
are on seperate partitions or not will not boot (I've made that mistake
before).  As to the question, I know certain linux distros support them, but
I haven't seen any FreeBSD options that enable that support.  I could be
wrong.  My suggestion would be if you are not using Dynamic disks for any of
the extra options they support, (e.g. Windows software RAID) don't use them.