Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:51:38 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley585.res.iastate.edu>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bt848 questions...

Chris Csanady:

I see you've already got 2 good responses to your mail.  Let me see if I
can help some.

 |How exactly is the video rendered into windows, and how does the scaling
 |work?  Does the direct video allow for the graphics card to do the scaling?
 |
 |I usually use 1600x1200, and would rather the video consume more than a
 |4x3" area. :)

As Amancio mentioned, with the current driver RGB data is pushed over the
PCI bus.  In RGB mode, the capture card (e.g. Hauppauge Wincast) does the
scaling.  The Bt848 chip on the card is limited for NTSC to scale RGB up to
640x480 in all color depths.  So in pixels, that's the biggest TV block
you'll see on your screen in FreeBSD.

On my 21" monitor @ 1600x1200, that's a good-size block about 6"x4.5".

However, even if you run 1600x1200 like I do sometimes, you can still get
full-screen TV on-demand thanks to XFree86 and software mode switching.
When you run Fxtv (a FreeBSD TV app), you can tell it to go full-screen
on-command (via key, mouse, or GUI button).  Under the hood, it
software-switches video modes to 640x480 and positions the viewport so your
TV window fills the screen.  Hit another key and your back to your previous
mode (1600x1200).  So you get the best of both worlds.

Now, the Bt848 chip also supports YUV transfers to the video card, letting
it do scaling and colorspace conversion, but XFree needs some work to
support this last I heard.  With mode switching instead, I find I really
don't have any need for it (YUV/vidcard scaling).

 |Any comments on the relative quality of specific brands?

I second the good comments about Hauppauge Wincast TV cards.

 |As an aside, I am also looking for a new sound card.  Is there any real
 |audible difference in sound quality between the SB16 WaveEffects and AWE64?
 |I am only interested in audio playback/recording, etc.  I'd hate to shell
 |out any more money for an ISA card than I have to. :\

Don't know anything about the "WaveEffects" part.  If MIDI/wavetable isn't
important to you, I wouldn't shell out the few extra bucks for an AWE64.
Functionally AFAIK, the non-wavetable part of the SB32/AWE32*/AWE64* cards
is a SB16.  Just look for a SB16 card.  PnP or non-PnP is fine, but pick a
non-PnP if you have a choice.

However, keep in mind that the SB16 component on SB16/SB32/AWE32*/AWE64*
cards are NOT all the same.  If digital record/playback sound quality is
important.  Make sure you get one with the Vibra16 chipset.  It's also made
by Creative Labs, fully SB16 chipset compatible, used on some of their SB16
(and derived) cards, and it doesn't have the ambient noise problem that the
original SB16 chipset does.  It is used on some SB16 (and derived) cards
and not others.  It was used on all the SB32s as far as I know, for example
(I have one).  Worth a check.

However, if video/audio conferencing is important to you (full-duplex
audio), you may want to look at other choices.  To get full-duplex on SB16
and derived cards, sound drivers have to play games like using 8-bit in one
direction and 16-bit in the other.  Luigi has mentioned that his drivers
support it, but there are other cards where such games aren't necessary.
Luigi and others that are into MBone and vid/aud conf can give you the
scoop there.

Personally, I'm real happy with my SB32.  Records/plays audio very nicely,
like the wavetable for MIDIs, and it's compatible with lots of existing
S/W.  28.8k modem here (no MBone for me), so full-duplex isn't a big deal
here.

Hope this helps.

Randall