Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:29:23 -0400
From:      Adam McDougall <mcdougall@ameritech.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Jeremy Domingue <jer@hughes.net>
Subject:   Re: Disgruntled Linux User... questions about FreeBSD

Glenn Johnson wrote:

> [...]
> > FreeBSD, but can anyone outline some of the major ones?
>
> The first thing you will probably notice is that rather than have a ton of
> software packages to choose whether to install or not, the FreeBSD
> installation process loads a fairly minimal (relative to RedHat Linux) set of
> tools. You then build your system up with the ports/packages that you select.
> Also, there is no "default" X configuration.
>
> The next thing you will notice is that FreeBSD uses csh by default and Linux
> uses Bash. Bash is available in the ports but of course needs to be installed
> later.
>
> When it comes to administration, Linux, particularly RedHat uses SYSV
> initialazion scripts for each service it starts up. The BSD style is to
> basically configure the system with variable initializations in one script,
> ie. /etc/rc.conf. Also, there are no runlevels as in Linux, although there are
> different security levels and a single user mode.
>

> > 2) Is there a way I can install FreeBSD without losing all of the stuff on
> > the server right now such as user files, web pages, programs, etc? And
> > possibly keep linux on there somewhere in case I ever decide to go back?
> >

> Yes, refer to the installation instructions for partioning your disk.
>

> > 3) Is anyone using SMP on FreeBSD with an Adaptec 7880 on-board SCSI
> > controller? Linux people keep telling me that this is not a good
> > configuration for Linux... how about for FreeBSD?
> >

> Yes, I have 4 such systems running large computational chemistry calculations.
> They literally run 24/7 with 100% CPU load. I also have two other systems with
> dual PentiumPros.
>

> > 4) I know that the current build of FreeBSD is listed as development and
> > should not be used in a mission critical environment, however, what are
> > people's experiences with it so far? If it seems to be fairly stable, I
> > would be willing to give it a shot... I really need the SMP support.
> >

> Well, I consider the jobs that my systems do to be mission critiacal. I have a
> total of 6 FreeBSD SMP systems and have never had a crash. The only problem I
> have had in the past year and a half with -CURRENT was a few months ago when
> NFS was broken for a few weeks. That has since been fixed. I find it necessary
> to closely monitor the state of -CURRENT via the mailing lists and commit
> e-mails.
>

> > 5) Are there any other problems or issues I may face with my hardware
> > configuration (listed below)?
> >

> > Hardware Configuration:
> >
> > Gateway (formerly ALR) NS-7000 Server
> > Dual PII 266mhz
> > 512mb EDO ECC SDRAM (all from the same lot, same manufacturer)
> > Adaptec 7880 on-board SCSI controller
> > 3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card
> > 2-4.1gb IBM SCSI hard drives
>
> The only possible problem you may have is with the Ethernet card. I am
> assuming that is one of the so-called vortex cards. If it is a 3C509, you are
> OK; if it is a 3C509B, then it will not work.

I assume here you mean 905 and 905B respectively. I think the 509 and 509B work,
and the 905, but the 905B is not currently supported. But someone IS working on
the driver, and I think you may be able to attain a copy of it if you asked the
person working on it, find out who by searching the mailing list archives.