Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 16:57:54 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

On Sun,  1 March 1998 at 17:04:35 +1100, Sue Blake wrote:

> OK, this is the kind of thing I had in mind. Criticism welcome.
>

> OBJECTIVES:
>
> 1. To provide a forum to meet and exchange experiences with other new
>    FreeBSD users, in a tolerant, friendly and encouraging environment.
>
> 2. To help new users of FreeBSD to understand their problems sufficiently
>    to present a well formed question to the FreeBSD support list,
>    freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>

> DO I BELONG HERE?
>
> Try this quick quiz:
>   1. Do you know the command to make a file that lists all the executable
>      files less than 2k in size that were created in the last 2 weeks?

Hmm.  I've seen your .sig before, but I don't think this is much of a
criterion.

>   2. Have you ever done something incredibly stupid?

And this would definitely make me eligible :-)

> If you answered no to the first and yes to the second, you'll be OK.

How about:

1.  Are you having such general difficulties with FreeBSD that you
    don't even know what the problem is?

2.  Are you worried that you can't express the problem well enough to
    get a useful answer from -questions?

> RULE:
>
> Try hard to never do anything that might cause another newbie discomfort or
> confusion. For example, expressing annoyance at a post to the list causes
> discomfort to many, and wrong guesses confuse if they are presented as
> statements of fact rather than descriptions of personal experience. Be aware
> that we're a sensitive lot communicating through an ambiguous medium, and if
> we didn't make mistakes we wouldn't be here.
>
> WARNING:
>
> Don't trust any advice you get here! We're all newbies, and any response to
> a question will be at best an uneducated guess. If you act on what we say
> without checking its validity you're likely to do great damage to your
> system, probably your brain too.
>
> Throw ideas around and make your mistakes here, but if you want real answers
> and guidance that's worth considering, write to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.
> If it turns out that you've overlooked something really silly, we're not
> going to laugh at you. Our answers will often be just as silly. For
> example, you could use this list to help formulate a question that the
> helpful souls on freebsd-questions will find easy to answer properly. Still
> ask freebsd-questions even if you think we've already answered it here.

I suppose it's a start.  The shortcomings will become evident in the
course of time, I suppose.

What do you say we ask on -questions?

Greg