Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 19:48:17 -0500
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Frontpage for dummies

From: Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
>I have now made a new server and installed apache-fp from the ports.
>
>Do I now add chroot'ed users as usual, or do I do this with frontpage?

You can still chroot the users as usual, but with Frontpage installed, they
can now use Frontpage 98/2000 to download/edit/upload their web pages while
on line.

>What's the root web?

The root web is the default DocumentRoot for the apache server.

>Is the fpadmin username/password an unix-account, or is it a different
>namespace?

fpadmin - is the default Administrative user for the entire Apache-FrontPage
Server. (NOTE: You can choose a different name for the Administrative user
when you install the server).

The FrontPage Extentions uses Apache's mod_auth_db module to do user
authentication for access to the root, user or virtual webs.  It is also
used to determine who has Author and Administrative privlieges.

http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_auth_db.html

>The same for ordinary users?

Same as above.

NOTE: You will need to install the FrontPage extentions into user and
virtual webs.  Then create a FrontPage user that has only Author privlieges,
so the client can update their pages.

>Where can I find an explanation which gives an overview of the principles
of >frontpage?

http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/frontpage/wpp/serk/

Scot