Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 2014 01:04:40 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
Subject:   Re: updating /sys/sys

On 12/31/13 20:47, Erich Dollansky wrote:

>> I just used freebsd-update to upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2. Everything
>> seemed to go properly, but if I look at /sys/sys all of the .h
>> files say something like: * $FreeBSD: release/9.0.0/sys/sys/cons.h
>> 196506 2009-08-24 10:53:30Z ed $
>>
>> /etc/freebsd-update looks like:
>>
>> ... Components src world kernel IgnorePaths ...
>>
>> Why aren't they updated?
>
> why should they? They define the 'interface' to the implementation.
> It is most important that these interfaces do change as little as
> possible especially in a STABLE version.

If I think about it, it seems that what you say should be the case.
However, if you download the src tarball and do some diffs, you will
see that many of them are in fact different; how significant those
differences are, I'm not sure.  I hit this problem trying to build
sysutils/lsof quite a while ago.  It still doesn't build for me after
upgrading to 9.2.

> They can change when you update to 10 and they can change all the
> while on CURRENT but not on RELEASE versions like 8 and 9.

Maybe that *should* be the situation, but it is not in actuality.

>> What's the best way to get them updated?
>
> You should have the current version if nothing is mentioned in
> UPDATING.

I ended up getting them via the src.txz tarball:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/9.2-RELEASE/

Moving the 9.0 /usr/src/sys/sys directory to the side and symlinking
to the usr/src/sys/sys directory from the 9.2 tarball allows it to
compile.

Gary