Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 21:54:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [none]

Salvo Bartolotta writes:
> > Actually, Amnesiac Mode refers to a system which has got no root
> > password (or one shorter than six chars). To turn it off:
> > su to/login as root (should be pretty easy now ;-)
> Whatever the exact cause may be (I'll try a suitable "grep -r" sooner
> or later), the moral seems to be: in a well-configured system there is
> no room for "Amnesiac" :-)

It refers to a system that has no hostname. Quoting
/usr/src/libexec/getty/main.c:

        gethostname(hostname, sizeof(hostname) - 1);
        hostname[sizeof(hostname) - 1] = '\0';
        if (hostname[0] == '\0')
                strcpy(hostname, "Amnesiac");

I.e. - if the string the gethostname syscall copies onto hostname is
empty, use the name "Amnesiac".

	<mike