Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 13:54:16 -0400
From:      "Angelos D. Keromytis" <angelos@dsl.cis.upenn.edu>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        Ian Cooper <ian@cdsec.com>, Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Tunneling

To: Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc: Ian Cooper <ian@cdsec.com>, Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>,
Date: 05/28/98, 13:54:15

In message <Pine.BSF.3.95.980528044248.21077B-100000@orion.webspan.net>, Open S
ystems Networking writes:

>> The WIDE implementation, IMHO is a pretty clean one, and since it

I surely hope you're not implying otherwise for certain other
implementations :-)

>> is inherently a FreeBSD implementation rather than a port, I'd
>> suggest that it be considered as a strong candidate for the "official"
>> implementation.

Um. Maybe I wasn't clear. We're not quite aiming at becoming a/the
"official" implementation. If people think the port's useful, they'll
use it; if it's extremely useful, maybe it will be integrated in the
kernel. Ditto for the WIDE code. If the latter happens, we'll interop
against it.

I've only briefly looked in the distant past at the WIDE code. It was
good code (I usually have trouble reading code written in Japan), but
rather incomplete in the features it supported (things may have
changed). In any case, I'd urge you to try and interoperate with
OpenBSD post-2.3 IPsec, since we've done major interoperability
testing with many other (commercial) vendors.

An amusing detail: the OpenBSD IPsec was originally writen for BSD/OS
(by John Ioannidis), then ported to NetBSD (by me), and then moved to
OpenBSD (by Niels Provos and me). So we'd like to claim that we've
gone through all the BSDs :-)

>Let the best Stack win :)

Sorry, not a contest :-)

>> We also have plans for an ISAKMP implementation. If others volunteer
>> to do some of the non-crypto ISAKMP stuff, then we can do the crypto
>> part and that would speed up the availability of isakmp.

Hm. There is one free implementation of ISAKMP/Oakley (now called
IKE), named pluto. Written originally by yours truly, it's now being
supported by the FreeSWAN project (I forget the URL, mailing list is
linux-ipsec@clinet.fi, usual majordomo to subscribe). Unfortunately,
that code is under GPL (yes, I know, but I was young and needed the
money...err...). It's also horrible (250KB speed-written in 3 weeks,
to meet a deadline), but it's more or less free (modulo GPL), outside
the US (written in Greece, supported by people in Canada), and there
is some support. AFAIK it's the only one with these properties (yes,
even the horrible code :-)

The FreeSWAN project is Linux-oriented, but pluto was written on
OpenBSD (and should be trivially portable), and there's quite a bit of
cooperation between them and the OpenBSD IPsec group.

I'll shut up now.
- -Angelos

PS. Found the URL, it's http://www.xs4all.nl/~freeswan/