Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 15:54:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: your mail without subject line about ADSL

I'm sure more people would notice your message if you had given it a
subject :-)

Richard Foulk writes:

>}> Cable has a good chance of blowing ISDN away.  Much faster and cheaper.  And
>}> it will be available in many places this year.  More, next.
>}>
>}> Keep your eye on the cable companies.
>}>
>}>
>}> Richard
>}
>} Cable is a pain.  It works only one way.  If you want to send a large file
>} you still have to go slow.  And, you still need to be a member of a ISP
>} as you can't write to cable, from what I've read.
>
> Slow compared to what?
>
> There are a few different configurations.  Eight megabits in, three
> megabits out is one.  Still way faster than other modes, even on the
> slower half.  As far as I know, the slowest slow in cable modems is
> still fast.

That's certainly fast compared to ISDN BRI or PRI.

> Our cable company here in Honolulu is apparently going to use modems that
> provide 6Mb in both directions.  The promise is $50/month.  The cable
> modem connects to your ethernet.  The cable company is becoming an ISP,
> in a big way.

There's a difference between supplying bandwidth and supplying
Internet services.  My understanding is that the telcos and the cable
companies are currently fighting for market share.  I've heard that
they're going to offer a similar service in Austin, TX Real Soon Now.

> Imagine how that kind of throughput could change the landscape.

Indeed.  It could blow everything we've seen so far out of the water.

Greg