Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 12:57:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Add new slice to running system, comments?

> I still have my slab-creating code left, so it would be quite practical
> for a startup to sawp onto a Windows swapfile, and then allocate the
> largest free section of the FAT filesystem and use that as swap as well.
>
> Terry; if you go ahead with your FAT filesystem rewrite (please do!), let
> me know how I can lock such files against damage.

Windows checks a signature if the "swap directory" (what Linux calls it)
exists; otherwise, it just recreates the directory for the swap file.

This is covered in the Linux "HowTo" on swapping to the Windows swap
file under "keeping Windows from complaining" or something like that.

Windows95 "protects" the swapfile from relocation by the  defragger,
etc. by setting "system", "hidden", and "read only" on the file...
that's why even if you turn of swapping you can't defrag it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.