Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:54:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Craig Russell <crussell_1969@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Modulok <modulok@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Creating a 10km wireless bridge...pointers?

NOTE: could you please do break lines properly on your posts? answering
your mails is not easy.

> Depending upon what your budget is, Tranzeo has some excellent wireless products that are
>ideal for point-point links.  Encryption is built-in and they can be
>configured for
>point-point or point-multipoint (just in case the project expands).  One
>problem that you may run into, if both sides of the link are close to the
>ground, is the "fresnel zone".

which is not dependent from manufacturer, but physics, and more important
in lower frequency. Calculations are easily found in the net.

and there are few meters to be counted too because earth is not flat.

>  If one side is higher than the other, this shouldn't be a problem.  Two
>self contained POE radios with built-in antanna should run you about $500
>and they can be mounted on standard satellite dish arms.

it works if done precisely enough :)

> I've also used mikrotik products and have generally been very happy with them.
  There is a ton of functionality and I actually use two of them for my core routers
at my current job.  I think for this project they are overkill and there is quite a
bit of a learning curve to get them up and running.  If you don't plan on deploying
anything else, I think that you will find that the tranzeo's are a
simpler solution.
--

generally - simple radio bridges. you put one to DSL router, and other to
computer/switch. that's all.