Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:37:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Loren J. Rittle" <rittle@supra.rsch.comm.mot.com>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com
Cc:        mark@jumpweb.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Alpha Multia (

In article <Pine.BSF.4.05.9904101828320.74823-100000@herring.nlsystems.com>,
Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com> writes:

>> Issue 2 - Random crashes.  With 3.1-RELEASE the system will randomly just
>> restart without any messages from the kernel or a core dump.  It's pretty
>> consistently related to lots of disk activity especially with more than one
>> process.  With the latest 4.x SNAPSHOT things are much more stable and it's
>> only done that once.

> I'm not too sure what to suggest. Has anyone else noticed this on 3.1?

I am using 3.1-RELEASE on a 433au configured to operate as a caching
proxy WWW server.  After a week of use, I have not seen this behavior.
After resolving some initial driver problems, the machine has not gone
down unless I asked it to do so.

Also, I have run multiple concurrent copies of the PostMark benchmark
(each of which places a very high load on the disk) and have seen no
problems.

Loren