Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 23:08:45 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ARP's - Overriden even if marked 'permanent'?

Does FreeBSD honour the 'permanent' flag of ARP's/IP addresses?

Recently I've locked down some ARP's on my FreeBSD box, then I changed the
network card in my PC...

e.g.

arp -S 192.168.100.1 00:c0:23:43:f4:02

My PC with it's new network card would work 'most' the time - and I'd see
kernel errors about 'arp moved from address xx.xx.xx.xx to yy.yy.yy.yy' etc.
- Then I realised I'd made the ARP permanent on the FreeBSD box - so surely
it should have ignored my PC (with it's new network card) completely?

Regards,

Karl Pielorz