Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:24:49 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and memetics

On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 08:49:49PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> >Then you obviously agree with Jordan: They should either go for Windows
> >or for FreeBSD, depending on their needs.
>
> They should go for ANYTHING that serves their needs. The object, however,
> should be to make FreeBSD serve their needs in the majority of cases.

In other words, it has nothing to do with PR and evangelization.

As for the object, from my limited perspective of having used FreeBSD for
less than half a year, it appears that "should be" actually should be "is."
I believe that object is a goal Jordan is and has been working on. And not
just Jordan. Many other people. Mostly programmers. That is good. Very few
writers. That is not good. (Although Jordan has done his share in that area,
too).

I have a suggestion for you: You are good at explaining things. You also
appear to genuinely want FreeBSD to succeed. Why not write some good
documentation for people who are new to Unix and *BSD. Not to replace
current documentation. To complement it, heck, even to compete with it.

You should probably do it on your own (since you do seem to have a rather
strong, individualistic, personality :). You know, the "unofficial" guide to
FreeBSD. Just do it, and post it somewhere on the web. Don't talk about
genetics and memetics in it. Don't mention FreeBSD politics either. Instead,
just write a no-nonsense guide to all the good things in FreeBSD, in a style
that non-programmers can understand.

Do that, and you may even end up in FreeBSD Hall of Fame.

Just my three cents worth (adjusted for inflation and taxation).

Adam