Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 02:53:03 -0800
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        Mats Dufberg <dufberg@sunet.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1GB Memory?

On the subject of Re: 1GB Memory?, Mats Dufberg stated:

> On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Charles Henrich wrote:
>
> > I have just recently installed a system with 1GB of memory, however
> > datasize max is still only 512mb.  Anyone know where I can find and bash
> > this to make it utilize the entire 1GB?  Thanks!
>
> There is a kernel setting to tell the OS memory size in case it gets an
> incorrect value from the BIOS. You will find information about the kernel in
> the handbook.

D'oh!  I knew those were there... I've been ignoring them out of habit since
FreeBSD 3.0 now correctly probes memory size...  Apparently the default probe
doesnt set the max datasize to the max value however.  Thanks for pointing
this out -- I think its time for bed now :)

-Crh

       Charles Henrich       Manex Visual Effects       henrich@flnet.com

                       http://orbit.flnet.com/~henrich