Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 12:08:26 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "FreeBSD Question List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Network Communications stopped for no apparent reason?!?

From: "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>

> Hi all.
>
> I have experienced something very strange today.  A server running
4.6.2
> just stopped talking to the network.  I cannot find any clues as to
why!

> The only clues I can find are the following entries from
> /var/log/messages:
> ---
> Sep  2 12:08:25 obelix /kernel: dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX
> threshold
> Sep  2 12:08:26 obelix /kernel: dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX
> threshold
> Sep  2 12:08:26 obelix /kernel: dc0: TX underrun -- using store and
> forward mode
> ---

This has recurred!  Could there be a bug of sorts here?

Again, the following is found in /var/log/messages:
---
Sep  3 22:53:09 obelix /kernel: dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX
threshold
Sep  3 22:53:09 obelix /kernel: dc0: TX underrun -- using store and
forward mode
---
It seems the problem is that the "store and forward mode" only does the
store, and not the forward :)

I see the message about "increasing TX threshold" pops up from time to
time, with no apparent problem, but whenever it is immediately followed
by the "store and forward" message then the NIC hangs.

I am on 4.6.2-RELEASE.  At the time of the problem there was one user
logged on, and one ftp session was downloading a distfile.  The box is
at an ISP's Colo facility, and bandwidth is restricted to 64k (bandwidth
is VERY expensive in South Africa!).  It appears that cpu load was very
high just before the NIC froze up, based on the last data in my mrtg
log, but I am not sure what would have caused that since there was very
little happening on the box at the time.

Anyone have any clues?

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.
    http://www.perimeter.co.za