Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:44:53 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bt848 driver for this week

Hi,

> Is there any way of interrogating the cards and finding out if the channel
> is broadcasting stereo?  It doesn't sound like it is doing stereo decode,
> although this is the WinCast/dbx.  I can't tell with headphones on
> standard TV on channels our Sony TV says are on stereo.  I suppose I need
> to find a movie or something that does a lot of left/right type panning.

all I've done to the stereo chips so far is unmute it.  the placeholder
function for adding stereo support is:

/*
 * setup the dbx chip
 * XXX FIXME: alot of work to be done here, this merely unmutes it.
 */
static int
set_BTSC( bktr_ptr_t bktr, int control )
{
	return( i2cWrite( bktr, TDA9850_WADDR, CON3ADDR, control ) );
}

to get info on programming the TDA9850 I2C-bus controlled BTSC Stereo/SAP
Decoder look at:

http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/acrobat/2144.pdf

go for it!

--