Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 00:39:56 -0700
From:      John Armstrong <siberian@siberian.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hot Backup servers

Hello all-
	I have two identical boxes that I intend to use as hot
backups. The way I am handling it is like this :

Box 1 : Live server
Box 2 : Hot Backup

Box 2 has box 1 mounted via NFS

I want to make Box 2 a total mirror ( or as much as possible ) of Box
1 including binaries etc.

So, my original approach was going to have Box 2 use cpbk to copy the
NFS directories into itself. Problem is, cpbk does not seem to like
NFS very much ( unless I have it misconfigured ).  I like cpbk
because it copies only new files etc which saves tons of time.

How are other people handling hot backups and keeping them current
and properly mirrored?

Also, how are people handling multiple partition backup? Like I want
to backup /var, / , /usr and /www, all different partitions but
backup to the same tape. Dump seems to only let me dump one at a time
and I do not really know how to deal with it. I can't get Perfect
Backup+ to install so I am a bit confused on that one.

john-