Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 1996 00:45:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        softweyr@xmission.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Risk of having bpf0? (was URGENT: Packet sniffer found on my system)

> Tcpdump does all this and lots more; the filter language is pretty powerful.

Given that bpf implements a little software processor, you could probably
demonstrate its equivalence to a turing machine.  I'm not sure if the lack
of back referencing jumps inhibits this or not, but I don't think so.  So,
yeah it's pretty powerful :-)  (yeah, that's not tcpdump, but all tcpdump
is is a compiler for this processor)

--
Alan Batie                   ______
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      Assimilate this!

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.