Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 19:21:50 -0700
From:      Brian Nelson <notgod@notgod.com>
To:        Theo de Raadt <deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org>
Cc:        Jason Stone <jason-fbsd-security@shalott.net>, FreeBSD Security <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [openssh-unix-announce] Re: Upcoming OpenSSH vulnerability

Theo de Raadt wrote:

> Jason is begging that I release a patch tomorrow.  What do you the
> rest of you think?  Do you wish to be immunized first or should we
> just post a patch, and have a public exploit a day later?

Just tossing an idea out (that I am sure a great number of you will not
like)...

How about working with the OS security officer (and whoever else) to
release a binary SSHD (PGP/GPG signed by the SA's of the OS's), but not
have the patches committed into public view (CVS, etc) until you feel
it's the rigt time to release the specifics...  I would think this would
minimize exposure while allowing people to secure their machines...

Of course, this assumes that you (and other people) trust the SO's not
to use and/or publish the information without your permission...  maybe
copywriting the source (like the OpenBSD iso) and then you can manage
the permissions on the source patch...  and release the rights on the
patch when the moon aligns with Orion's belt....

   -Brian