Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:04:23 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>, "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>, FreeBSD ports list <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ports/33777: samba WITH_CUPS pulls in cups meta-port, not cups-base

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 10:53:40PM -0500, Brian T. Schellenberger wrote:
>On Friday 11 January 2002 09:55 am, Alan Eldridge wrote:

>> This change was mainly to stop the "CUPS broke my printing" threads
>> that show up from time to time (usually directed at KDE, but we have
>> fixed that, since KDE really doesn't need cups-lpr).
>
>I personally think it is -very- surprising to have a SAMBA (or KDE) install
>suddenly break a printing setup that has been working for years, and it would

1. Printing is not broken by KDE installations.

2. After the last committed patch, nothing is broken by a samba install.

3. After my most recently submitted patch, full cups support is provided
by samba without affecting users who do not use it, just as it is in KDE.

ANNOUNCEMENT: There are now no ports that use CUPS which will cause
any unanticipated, suprising, disruptive, indigestive, uncooperative,
icky, hairy, or purple things with big warts and fangs to happen to
your system when they are built or installed. Of course, if you do a
"make -DFSCK_MY_SYSTEM_UP", then all bets are off. ;)

--
Alan Eldridge
Pmmfmffmmfmp mmmpppppffmpmfpmpppff PmpMpmMpp ppfppp MpfpffmppmppMmpFmmMpm