Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 21:01:45 -0400
From:      Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Usage of "cu"

--On Thursday, May 31, 2001 10:31:45 +1000 Doug Young
<dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au> wrote:

> Thanks Damien ...... I guess I should have said that I've always
> run "cu" as root. so shouldn't that over-ride any ownership / group
> issues ??

My experience has been that even though you run cu as root, it still thinks
that the port is in use because of the file mode. When somthing accesses a
serial port, it grabs it for exclusive access by changing the file mode to
0600, when it is done it changes the mode back to 0660. When you start cu,
it checks the mode, sees that it is 0600 and therefore thinks another root
process is already using it.

---
Damien Tougas
Systems Administrator