Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:14:23 +0000
From:      Harry Newton <harry_newton@telinco.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Relative Merits of FreeBSD

I am currently running Linux ( Debian 2.1 ) on a Pentium, and am
thinking about converting to FreeBSD and would like to make an
informed choice --- so I need some additional information.  I

I am not interested in theoretical ( or political ) points, only really the
experiences of folk who have knowledge of both systems. I don't care
about the difference in licences, nor the fact that I will have to
relearn some administration.

I come from a Solaris/Digital UNIX background, and I guess am really
interested in any differences I would notice as a user of the
machine. I don't do anything too fancy with the machine, mainly coding
(C, Java) and TeXing and web browsing/mail reading. I am aware that
FreeBSD, out of the box, is less set-up than Linux ( in terms of
applications ).

I guess I am really after folks thoughts about using the two systems,
but a few specifics occured to me:

o Is there anything I can do in Linux that I can't do in BSD ( &
vice-versa ) ?

o FreeBSD is often claimed to be more stable and quicker than Linux
--- how true is this is practice ?

o Is there any advice that you give to someone who is going to make such
a change ?

Many thanks for your forebearance !

Regards, Harry

P.S. `Linux vs BSD' searches, and similar, on the Web have nearly all
yielded potted histories, which though interesting, are not the kind of
thing I am looking for.