Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:54:37 +0100
From:      AUBORD Alain <Alain.Aubord@obs.unige.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Adaptec 78xx and BIOS

Hi,
    I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.7 but I get a small anoying
problem: I use an Adaptec 78xx (on board) SCSI card which is recognised
but  I can not have the extended translation from the BIOS recognised by
the kernel.

This is a quite important point, since the partitions are defined with
the extended scheme, and I cannot install an operating system which
don't use it (I will break all my partitions table). This problem arise
when using the adaptec card with an  old BIOS (I run currently the
version 1.2 but I don't plan to upgrade it).

I have the same problem with Linux. Under Linux, it is solved by giving
an option when booting the kernel to force the kernel to use extended
translation for the disk. I suspect the same solution can be applied to
freeBSD (since most of the driver code is common with Linux) but I don't
know how.

It's not easy to edit the boot floppy since it has an UFS file system
(perhaps on a Sun).

Any Idea ?

Thanks
--