Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 01:09:41 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?R=E9mi_Guyomarch?= <rguyom@pobox.com>
To:        FreeBSD Security List <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bump-in-the-Road IPsec?

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 07:33:25PM -0800, Lamont Granquist wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Rémi Guyomarch wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 03:14:38AM +0100, Rémi Guyomarch wrote:
> > > On OpenBSD, use the gif device, along with IPSec in transport mode
> > > and the same bridge setup as described below.
> >
> > Damn! I just realised that gif(4) only handles IP frames :-(
> > Still a transparent bridge, but only suitable for IP...
> > [same thing with gre(4)]

After reading the gif(4) and brconfig(8) OpenBSD's manpages, it seems
gif isn't limited to IP traffic but really handles full ethernet.

> only suitable for IP is fine by me.  the thing is that i really want these
> to be two completely seperate networks with real ip #s.

Yuk! I got it. Basically you're trying to do a "tranparent IP
router". I think this violates nearly every routing-related RFC ever
published !
It might be possible but it would require horrible hacks.

> the stuff i've
> found on the net so far suggests using gif to bridge between two remote
> networks that share the same private ip space.

Yes, a bridge only makes sense when the two segments share the same
IP address space, or you use some non-routable protocol (ex: NetBEUI,
AppleTalk).

--
Rémi