Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 02:01:46 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Erik Mattsson <erik.mattsson@imbridge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd, Apache and .htacess files

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 03:26:11PM +0100, Erik Mattsson wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ive installed the apache-1.3.26_3 port and trying to get it to work with TWiki
> (an intranet discussion/note board). But I cant limit the access of the sites.
>
> Ive made the following test:
> created a "test" dir in the DocumentRoot directory.
> In this directory Ive created a "index.html" file that the browser can acess.
>
> But now I want to limit the access to the test directory by adding a .htaccess
> file in the dir. The .htaccess file looks like this:
> "AuthName "restricted stuff"
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile /usr/local/twiki/data/.htpasswd
> require valid-user"
>
> And the AutgUserFile look like this:
> "TWikiGuest:zK.G.uuPi39Qg"
>
> But I can reach the /test/ directory anyways even though it should be restricted. I dont
> even get a Dialog wanting user/password details.
>
> What is wrong, the strange thing is that Ive used the same .htaccess and .htpasswd files on a
> netbsd and got it to work. But now I cant get it to work on my freebsd box.
>
> Can anyone help me ?

Just a comment. I'm running TWiki on assorted FreeBSD boxes and I
couldn't imagine life without it. Installation is a huge number of
small straightforward steps. In my experience, you can't go wrong
if you patiently follow the install docco exactly, right the way
through to the end, including the sections on cron and
authentication, until you get it up and fully working. Don't
try to skip or embellish. After that it's safe to fiddle. YMMV.

I've started a FreeBSD page for anyone who notices FreeBSD-specific
gotchas, or who wants to collaborate on developing a FreeBSD port.

http://TWiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/TWikiOnFreeBSD

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-