Date:      13 Mar 98 19:48:17 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Squid: Proxying for fun and profit

At 13 Mar 98 16:20:37 Donald Burr wrote regarding Squid: Proxying for fun and
profit

 DB> Well, I just set up my first Web proxy server, using squid (in
 DB> ports). Wow.  Now I have all of my various machines in here
 DB> going through the web proxy on my FreeBSD box instead of going
 DB> out and trying to fetch the page themselves.  Certainly speeds
 DB> things up since a lot of the users access the same pages over
 DB> and over again (the FreeBSD site is quite popular :) ).
 DB>
 DB> Now I'd like to try and do something more fancy, and perhaps
 DB> someone out there can help me out.
 DB>
 DB> I would like to automatically keep the most current pages of
 DB> various web sites online.  For example, a lot of people access
 DB> http://www.freebsd.org (FreeBSD) and http://www.linux.org
 DB> (Linux).  I'd like my proxy server to automatically go through
 DB> these entire sites, and fetch all pages, and keep checking
 DB> periodically to see if any pages here get updated.  (Sort of
 DB> like what a "web spider" type of indexing bot like AltaVista
 DB> does)

Try doing a lynx -traversal www.freebsd.org
Remember to remove the traverse.dat (can't remember the exact name, might be
wrong) lynx produces, as it won't revisit pages already in that file.

 DB> The catch, though, is that I don't want this automatic fetching
 DB> to cross site boundaries.

It'll work like you want it.

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk