Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 12:31:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        bxgu@seu.edu.cn, mks@networkcs.com
Cc:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re:Signalling problems

in private mail, Alex had enabled the verbose messages in the nicstar
driver and everything looked normal, with exception of the open message
for VPI/VCI 5 was absent (I don't know if it was not done or was
not included in the mail).

I notice in this trace that PCUs are being sent to the switch, but there
is no replies. could it be that VCI was not opened? The driver should
keep traffic for non-opened VPI/VCI as raw cells (which still should
show up in the Berkeley Packet Filter output).

you could re-look at the /var/log/messages file from before and see
if there is an entry for VPI/VPI 5. If it is not being open, you can
add the entry to the nicstar_attach code to open that VPI/VCI (see
previous mail about the open statement.

as I mentioned before, you may need to get some link analyser to see
what is on the ATM link, but according to your latest traces, the switch
is not responding to the VPI/VCI 5, SSCOP traffic from the nicstar.
It is possible the switch never sees the traffic, or the nicstar does
not see the switch's reply.

--mark.