Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:24:29 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        opentrax@email.com
Cc:        security-officer@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New security policy for FreeBSD 3.x

In message <200011211843.KAA00298@spammie.svbug.com> opentrax@email.com writes:
: Please note I've cc'd to arch. Could you make  your
: comments there?
:
: On 19 Nov, FreeBSD Security Advisories wrote:
: >
: > The FreeBSD Security Officer would like to announce a change in policy
: > regarding security support for the FreeBSD 3.x branch.
: >
: > Due to the frequent difficulties encountered in fixing the old code
: > contained in FreeBSD 3.x, we will no longer be requiring security
: > problems to be fixed in that branch prior to the release of an
: > advisory that also pertains to FreeBSD 4.x.  In recent months this
: > requirement has led to delays in the release of advisories, which
: > negatively impacts users of the current FreeBSD release branch
: > (FreeBSD 4.x).
: >
: Could you clarify exactly what you are saying? It's not clear.
: Perhaps a chart might help.

[[ included original text to give context ]]

Generally speaking, fixes go into -current first, then are MFC to
4.x-stable and then MFC to 3.x-stable.  Sometimes the MFC is easy
(when the code is substantially identical) and sometimes it isn't.  In
the cases it isn't, we won't hold up the advisory for a 3.x fix.  We
will inform select interested and sufficiently clueful parties of
pending advisories for which no 3.x solution is available.  If they
can get us a fix for 3.x before we release our advisory (usually a few
days to a week depending on its severity and other factors), we will
include it in the advisory.  If not, then the advisory goes out anyway
without a 3.x fix, with the usual room for negotiation for reasonable
extensions.

In other words, fixes for 3.x will no longer gate security
advisories, but will be included if available.

Warner